Fact or Fiction?

Ever since leaving religion behind me, I've become increasingly sceptical of anything which seems remotely like a religion, or anything that claims that it's idea of the supernatural is true. However despite this, I've tried to remain as open as I can to new ideas. I detest the idea of rejecting all religious claims on the basic of them being religious. Rather, I think it more reasonable to investigate the claim in question, and then make a logical decision as to it's truthfulness.

Now, of course there are so many religious claims that I wouldn't have the time to investigate all of them. But with what I've read, I find it easy to dismiss the vast majority of them. I don't believe in any god with any personality. As for the spiritual world, I'm undecided.

If I went back in time a few thousand years and took a gun, the gun would seem like magic. I could walk around all day going on and on about the power it had to kill people with a tiny little bullet. Sure, a few people might listen to me, and some might even believe me. But at some point, a thinking person would come along and ask for proof. Maybe he might ask me to shoot an animal to demonstrate it's power. So I reach into my bag, but realise that I've left all my bullets back in the future, which means that I am incapable of backing up my claim that the gun could kill.

With a situation like that, though I understood exactly how the gun worked, unless I could explain it or offer proof, these ancient people would be completely justified in rejecting my claim that the gun could kill (if this is unreasonable, let me know and why). But the rejection of my claim doesn't negate the fact that the gun can kill given the correct bullets.

Following from this, I think there are things in this world that some people do know about, but science is currently incapable of providing an explanation for them, so we reject their claim. I'm not saying that god is real, but that some things which we reasonably reject, might turn out to be real.

But of course, that's not a reason to believe in anything and everything. But it is a reason to remember that science is not absolute (as a great many do understand), and that science doesn't have all the answers.

I've been reading a book called the Ringing Cedars (http://www.ringingcedars.com/), and I have found the book to be amazing. I remain sceptical of the vast majority of things in there. It talks about the correct way to grow plants, and that if used, you can be cured of all diseases. It talks about man as the ruler of the world, about how technology is distorting who we are, and a great many other things. It's a very interesting book, and I plan on getting the next 8 (there is 9 in the series).

I personally want to try out some of the things in the books to see if I can verify some of the claims. It certainly doesn't seem like a religion, and I haven't heard of there being any sort of angry god and a fiery hell. But I'm wary of it, not because I think it is bad, but because it simply might not be true. However, the book has had a profound effect on me personally, at least immediately when I read it. And it has sold 10 million copies with no advertising. I'm well aware that the amount of people who believe in something is no indication of truth, but still, it's interesting.

Some say that the author (Vladimir Megre) made it all up, taking elements from a variety of different religions and spiritual systems, and turned it into a book for monetary gain. I think that that is a very valid idea, and it might very well turn out to be true.

Despite this, like I said I do plan on getting the rest of the books, if only to find out more about it. There's nothing bad in it (not that I've read so far), rather it advocates natural living; that is, living in nature, growing your own garden and only eating food from there, being kind to animals, using your 'energy' to have a positive influence on people, and so on. If one were to believe in it all, they would hardly become a bad person. Rather, they're simply not doing what other want to do, such as pursue money, career, or something else.

There are some incredible things in there, almost all of which I would question the credibility of. Despite being very sceptical, I'm am also very interested, not just in reading the books, but trying to do the things set forth in them. I have no problem doing this, because there are no rules, and no dogma to which one has to adhere to. People are free to believe as little or as much as they want, and people can even conduct whatever experiments they want.

As an atheist, I have a problem with religion when it has a negative effect on people's lives, either individually, or in a group. As far as someone's personal religion or faith, it is simply that, a personal matter. So long as they do not force it no another, and do not risk their own lives irrationally, I have no problem with it.

So an atheist I remain, but a curious atheist, at least when it comes to spirituality. Anyone the same?

1 comments:

Unknown said...

a great find for panda fanatic!
my roommate and i LOVE this bag
hkpanda.freetzi.com

Post a Comment