The Inherent Need for Certainty in Humans

Isn't it peculiar how almost everyone needs to be sure; sure of their job, sure of their other half, or sure about the morning train. Without the certainty in place, anxiety and tension fills in it's gap, however small. Why is it that people say, "I just need closure...", about any number of things? Why is it we have to be sure of our job? Jumping to the point, why is it that humans have an insatiable desire to be certain about their purpose in life, the nature of the universe, or the existence of God?

But before I run off with myself, it seems pertinent to mention that not everyone is like this. To nearly every rule, there is an exception, and this does not escape. I know there is people who can relax in the midst of uncertainty, indeed, if I were not one of them, I think I should have proclaimed my allegiance to Atheism or Christianity by now. It is this trait which pulled me from God, and that which prevents Atheism from becoming. So if you are one of these people, not eagerly desiring of certainty and surety, then you will better understand everything in this blog. However, if you hold to a certain idea with unwavering faith, then some (or most) might fail to understand. I am honoured that you would take the time to read my blog, and even more so if you give me patience, for I am not a professional scholar, but an amateur attempting to wrestle with ideas with ideas larger than myself.

The thing I find frustrating while simultaneously amusing about Christianity, is that many of them seem to cling to their faith, simply on the basis that it gives them certainty about life and death. As a Christian, I would have faith and know (relatively speaking of course) the purpose of my life, the difference between good and evil, my destiny after death, and many other things. It would be of supreme comfort to one knowing that after death, he is to receive eternal blessing, delight and pleasure.

Of course, this does little to reveal any exact truth, but it is very interesting. I start wondering how many Christians, have their minds convince them of God's truth. For the human mind is capable of convincing itself of many things being true, despite conflicting evidence. To start with, why are there so many religions in this world? How is it that so many different people can believe so many different things? Perhaps if someone were well read on this subject they would tell me that the vast majority of religions have very few followers, and that the main religions of the 21st century number 5: Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, and Hinduism. But the fact remains down to two religions - if there is any conflict in ideas, with people on both sides being absolutely sure of their side, then we end up at the same point.

Perhaps I might add atheism into the ranks of religion. But before everyone starts shouting, let me add it broadly. I'm using the word religion to describe a system of ideas, even if the idea is about how other ideas can't be true. Yes, I believe Atheism should be called a religion, however with no Atheist bible and no central purpose being discovered by it, it is a very simple one. It leaves people free to choose their purpose in this life.

So if people all around the world are convincing themselves that their religion is the true one, surely some of them must be wrong. We must remind ourselves of the exclusivity of some religions (Christianity and Islam), for they and only they can exist at the non-existence of every other. It can only be Christianity, or it can only be Islam, etc. It is no use claiming that all roads lead to God, or that each person should find their own way, for that leaves us with no solution.

Supposing that some religions cannot exist with another, we must hold that some are wrong. If wrong, then we must ask, why do they believe as they believe. They are convincing themselves of the truth of their faith, but it is no statement of fact. The amount of Christians who take their faith on 100% certainty is very large, and surely not all of them can genuinely believe in the truth. If Christianity were not real, then every single Christian has convinced themselves of it's truth.

Walk into a church, any church, and their will be people who claim that Christianity is absolutely true, and cannot understand any other view. I use cannot here intentionally. It is not a case of them refusing to look at other religions, it is a case of them neither caring nor being interested in any other religion than they're own. But if one were truly convinced of the God of the bible, then why would he have to worry about other religions? Surely a true belief in God would liberate, allowing any Christian to explore other religions while being completely comfortable in their own faith. But such it is not the case.

To return to the main point (got a little sidetracked there...), these people who believe in Christianity, completely and utterly unwaveringly, are the people who have convinced themselves of its truth. For some psychological reason, their mind has found reason to believe in it. Their mind associates security with belief and anxiety with unbelief (or lack of belief), so when anything threatens their belief, they convince themselves even more strongly. This is the reason why some Christians refuse to explore other religions more fully.'

I am not saying however, that the Christians who are able to evaluate all religions, have actually made contact with God. I am saying that these Christians have found reason to believe. Instead of succumbing to the inherent need for certainty, they have been more reasonable, not caving in to basic human emotions.

So with a lot of rambling and mindless talk, which I hope has achieved something, I come to the conclusion. Humans have an inherent need for certainty. It is not so much a provable fact but rather an observable phenomenon. We see the need for certainty everywhere and everyday. We see it in religions and systems of thought all over the world. It is why some people are surely and fully convinced that they know the truth. They don't, for I believe no human can know it. But despite not knowing the full truth of the universe, their minds have convinced them that they know a large portion.

I suppose you can apply this to many situations, but I find it is revealing when talking about Christianity with someone. Some things which reasonably make no sense, are taken as absolute fact by a lot of Christians, with little to no research. It starts off with a mild belief in Christianity, and slowly but surely turns into a headstrong, "I'm right, you're wrong!" belief. They have lost their reason, and their humility has been replaced by arrogance, a process which should be in reverse if someone wants to become a true saint.

Humans need certainty, it is a fact without doubt, and this is how I've observed it to work in relation to Christianity. You can see it in every other religion, Atheism included. But as usual, there are a few who break the status-quo and will always show me how wrong I am.

I must make one last point though - I have very high respect of some Christians, and they often surprise me with their humble but confident faith. They are people who truly believe, not out of a psychological need, but because they have truly found something worth keeping. I must ask their forgiveness for this last quote:

"Martyrdom is the only way in which a man can become famous without ability."

It is interesting that this inherent need for certainty leads to many a man becoming famous. It's almost like cheating.

I hope you understand me now, when I say that the inherent need for certainty in humans is one reason why I don't believe in God.

0 comments:

Post a Comment